Dichotomy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dichotomy

Species at war

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission]

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Anya
Addict
Anya

Number of posts : 169
Humor : punny
Registration date : 2008-06-19

The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission] Empty
PostSubject: The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission]   The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission] EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 10:35 pm

Time ticked on; almost a week and a half had gone by according to Anya's inner clock by the time the traveler's itch began scratching at her feet again. It had been nice, comfortable, even to live on the outskirts of a werewolf pack, but this, Anya told herself, was not her place. She was still wary of the pack's playful barks and growls, whether they approached in human or lupine form. Whenever the creatures ventured near, she would melt back into the trees like a ghost, choosing to avoid rather than confront them. Whether they noticed her or not - though Anya suspected they did - the werewolves would simply trot on by, ignoring her completely.

The only werewolf she had contact with was their alpha, Rakel. He had shown himself, at least outwardly, to be aloof and stern, poised and calm, but Anya shuddered at the thought of such a creature becoming feral. She knew, deep in her bones, that all such animals must at times become uncontrolled and wild; she could feel the stirrings of her own Beast in her breast as she stretched and yawned in obeisance to the morning sun as it peeked its radiant head above the shifting green of the trees.

The place was beautiful, she admitted, yawning and sitting up. The girl smiled to herself, taking in the serene scenery. The ruins of some sort of small, rural town spiraled out around her, their once sturdy stone walls mossy and crumbling. In the crevasses, tiny, snow white flowers like stars winked, surprised at the morning sun as it caressed them; they'd retreat when the sun was higher, but the early morning dew that reflected tiny rainbows off any rough surface drew them out like a curious light draws out a child at night.

What could be seen of the stone was a dull, weathered grey and a peachy, bleached brown. The wood and supports had all been long gone, but a few of the walls still stood proudly, like the one Anya had perched upon. The ground itself was littered with gardens gone wild and the everpresent meadow grasses that always seem to lead the frontal assault into "civilized" lands after their inhabitants have abandoned it. A petunia here stuck its head between the bright yellow faces of dandelions while a whole clump of irises cooled themselves in the shade of a young maple growing in what might have been a doorway there.

The ruins actually extended a good way into the shade of the new forest that seemed to sprout from its midst, almost as if they were clinging to he last vestiges of society in the face of a torrent of wilderness. Huge swathes of clover peered around the stone structures that hid in the shadows, almost an entire sea of leaves as they chuckled and danced in the breeze. The breeze itself, borne past the clover and loam, was a sweet, fresh scent that invigorated the mind and body. The smell was laid and overlaid with other scents of living things, mainly wolf, but also more subtle scents; those of good earth, of prospering wildlife, of encroaching forest.

As the avian life shook off its slumber, the air was filled with a cacophony of sounds that, Anya believed, would have given a Van Halen concert a run for its money. She laughed at the simile and slithered down from the wall, enjoying the plush feel of the grass over the prickly, rough jabs of the rocks and pebbles underneath. She wiggled her toes in the cool morning dew as it began to retreat under the sun's rising warmth and enjoyed the whisper of breeze that tickled her neck for a moment. Yes, she told herself firmly, it's time to move on. I've dawdled enough here.

Breaking camp, Anya folded everything neatly and stuffed it violently into her bag. At least I have something other than baked beans this time, she reminded herself, making a disgusted face. Rakel had kept her well-stocked for wherever her next travels would take her; apparently, he was on pretty good terms with the humans, though she didn't have the foggiest idea how. The girl shrugged mentally and swung the backpack to her shoulder, giving a final glance to the panorama.

"Well, maybe I'll see you aga-" she stopped. A familiar scent danced in her nostrils. I... it can't be! Anya shook her head, disbelieving, He's dead!

The girl broke her frozen stance, gritting her teeth mulishly together and tromping off in any direction other than the one she believed the scent had come from. Besides, she huffed, who says the Wolf can be trusted?
Back to top Go down
Scyn
Admin
Scyn

Number of posts : 39
Humor : I was never meant to work, but I was meant to make money
Registration date : 2010-06-03

PostSubject: Re: The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission]   The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission] EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 9:38 pm

[from https://dicotomy.rpg-board.net/travel-f11/the-woods-t194.htm]

Scyn could feel her walking off. He knew could feel her confusion and disbelief that it was actuall him. His mind burned with curiosity. He knew this territory belonged to some werewolf pack, but he knew he needed to be there. His only friend who could help him out was here. He had been searching for her ever since he woke in Tiroch. She was the only one he knew.

Then, it hit him like a heavy breeze that could knock any normal person off their feet, there she was. He ran to where he felt her, begging in his head for her not to go. He needed to find her, and, hopefully, stay with her this time around. She was the key to unlocking his past and who he was. Not only that, she was really his only friend.

Scyn stopped as he saw her. She was still the same as he remembered; shorter than him, brown hair that was a frizzy mess, her grey hoodie that she wore as she was freezing to death when he saved her (as if that would keep her warm.), and the same, worn backpack.

"Anya," he said softly, hoping she would hear him. "Anya? It's me! Scyn! You remember me, right?"
Back to top Go down
Anya
Addict
Anya

PostSubject: Re: The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission]   The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission] EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 11:29 am

Her heart jittered as the crash of someone running towards her fell on her ears, but she didn't turn; rather, she simply flattened her lips into a hard, thin line and stopped. She ran a hand through her recently re-dyed hair nervously and turned around. There was no one.

She turned slowly, suspiciously, but the only thing she could sense out of the ordinary was the feeling of watchful eyes and the scent of a long-lost friend. She shuddered, even though the day was already becoming decidedly warm, and turned back towards her original direction. I... I must be going crazy, she nearly whimpered, thinking of seeing him here after I watched him die...

The girl shook her head violently, shaking off the thoughts that arose, unbidden along with this assertion. She was about to take a step when a soft voice froze her. "Anya, Anya! It's me! Scyn! You remember me, right?"

It was just the right questioning timbre, the tone she remembered, but it couldn't be real, it couldn't! Her knees turned to water and dumped her on the ground unceremoniously. Her hands, quivering, balled into fists and placed themselves determinedly in front of her face while a lump of something hot and heavy lodged itself in her throat. "Whoever the h--- you are, get away from me," her voice, tight and thick, coughed out, "Scyn's dead. I don't know who the f--- you are, but if you're wearing his face, I'll kill you."

As her anger grew, she could feel the hot pins and needles of Change beginning to ripple over her arms like waves of heat from a hot oven. Normally, she'd fight furiously, desperately against the cackle of the Wolf as it began to creep out of the edges of her mind, but she was too infuriated at the thought of trickery to bother really resisting. She did, though, stand up, her face curled up in a snarl to face the voice, her hands curved, clawlike at her side. "Show yourself," she demanded, her voice a commanding growl.
Back to top Go down
Scyn
Admin
Scyn

PostSubject: Re: The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission]   The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission] EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 12:04 pm

"It IS me! I swear it! I'm not dead. You're the only person I know and our friendship before whatever happened to me happened is all that I remember. You're the only thing I have left!" Scyn said as he closed the gap between them slowly, hoping that would get through to her before she turned.

Then, as if gears started turning for once in his head, he remembered how she always thought it was cool to hear the low hum of his lightsaber blades when he trained himself. Without hesitation, he grabbed the small, silver hilts, pressed the red button near the focusing lense, and swung the bright blue blades around gracefully as they hummed through the air.

"I know you remember these, kid," he called her. When they were together, from the moment he saved her, he always called her kid. "All those nights when I trained myself, you couldn't keep your eyes off of these lightsabers. Don't you remember?"
Back to top Go down
Anya
Addict
Anya

PostSubject: Re: The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission]   The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission] EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 5:29 pm

A man stepped into her field of vision, his face, his robes, his very gait exactly how she remembered Scyn's to be. The sight as he approached almost physically shocked her back; hot tears prickled her eyes and ran carelessly down her face, but still, even as she tried to swallow around the lump of lead in her throat, she still doubted he was real. Even as Anya's heart wanted to go out to him, as she wanted to trap him in a bear hug as was her wont, she instead gritted her teeth and crouched, backing away.

His protests made her whimper almost inaudibly, but she could not trust this creature, this illusion. But I watched you die! she nearly screamed. Her breathing was jagged, rough; it filled her ears so that she missed his next words as the stranger flicked on what seemed to be Scyn's lightsabers, whirling them around gracefully.

The low, lullaby hum of the blades and her own confusion were, for the moment the only things that kept the Wolf at bay. Anya could feel it snarling at her to rip and kill, to destroy the charlatan that stood before her, but her eyes followed, instead the steady, slow sweep of the blades, for a moment almost hypnotized. NO! the Wolf snarled, straining against Anya's control, He will destroy us!

Anya's eyes snapped back into focus and she leapt further away, still staring at him and baring her teeth, though more expectantly this time than menacingly. "Anyone can put on a light show," she rumbled, "Prove yourself."
Back to top Go down
Scyn
Admin
Scyn

PostSubject: Re: The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission]   The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission] EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 8:29 pm

Scyn replaced the lightsabers to his belt so they dangled as they hung. He almost forgot how stubborn she could be. He walked slowly to her, dispite her occasional growls and challenging glares. She didn't believe her eyes. It was a trick he learned from her many years ago. He didn't realize until he glazed over her thoughts that what she saw in that lab, as they doctors and scientists cut him open like a dead animal, she truly believed he was dead. She wasn't there for the last few moments when he woke; when he killed them through his anger. A gesture of the sith lord inside himself.

When he finally came close enough for her to swipe his head off, he trapped her in a hug that she didn't try to resist. He could feel his shirt under his robes become wet from tears. He shed a tear himself, for everything they went through. He wondered why he was sent to this world when all he had were memories of her and of the day he almost died. When he was at the mercy of the wicked. Then, he figured he was sent to this world as her gaurdian. Time and time again something tried to kill her or them both, and he was always there to stop it.

"I don't know ho else I can prove myself. You'll have to touch the scars yourself," Scyn said as he lifted his shirt. She needed to know that what she saw was real. That he was, in fact, cut open like a gutted pig. And she needed to know that he did survive, and wouldn't have if it weren't for the force. "I promise, I won't disappear. And it would be rather painful if your hand went through me, kid."
Back to top Go down
Anya
Addict
Anya

PostSubject: Re: The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission]   The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission] EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 9:52 pm

(Note: please be careful controlling my character... It's really not good manners. XP)

The man approached again, this time with a submissive, passive gesture, even going so far as to avert his eyes and spread his arms away from the sabers dangling at his waist. He even went so far as to drop to his knees and slide forward for the last few feet, finally at eye level with Anya's crouched, tense form. She sat stock still, watching warily. He smelled so real, so alive; besides, the Wolf whispered that, even though she grew more nervous with every step forward, every forward move was also an advantage on her part.

He was within range when he caught her completely off-guard and rushed toward her for an unavoidable hug. Instinctively, she struggled for a moment, flinching back. She couldn't easily escape, so she simply relaxed, feeling the solid, hard lines of his body through his travel-worn robes. She put her head, with a soft fump against his chest, feeling her tears increase to a waterfall. If this is an illusion, she whimpered, they can take me. Oh, God, what I'd give to have my friend back!

There were so many things they had done, traveling, laughing, swapping stories, and saving each other. He had needed a lot of looking after, she remembered, lest he get himself in over his head. For a time, it had seemed almost a paradise, to have another person with whom she could relate and share the joys and pains of life with. He had been her truest friend after her Change. Then, captured, she had watched him die under the scalpels of curious, immoral doctors; she could not save him that time. She had been administered a tranquilizer shot and deposited in the wilderness to die.

Anya looked up, bewildered as the man pulled away again after christening her with a couple tears of his own. His face was vastly sorrowful as he pulled the shirt half of his robes over his head in order to display the y-shaped scar indicative of an autopsy. It was ugly, ropy and thick.

Anya's hand, quavering, reached out and brushed the collarbone where the callous of the scar mounded at its tip. Jerking back, surprised at its reality and warmth, she glanced up at him again. Biting her lip, her hand steadied and slowly traced the v at the top, from collarbone to collarbone. Its task done, her hand dropped limply to her side and she fell with a plop to her behind. "Scyn, is it really you?" she whispered, her eyes completely clouded with tears. Could I have been wrong?
Back to top Go down
Scyn
Admin
Scyn

PostSubject: Re: The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission]   The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission] EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 10:16 pm

Scyn smiled, he could feel that her heart was finally waking to the truth. She was starting to believe he wasn't an illusion.

"Yeah, I made it out. Even though you were close with your assumtion of me dying, I made it through. I'm alive, as alive as I'll ever be," he said, asserting a calm, reassuring aura over her as he had done so many times when she feared for their lives. His heart pounded calmly in his chest, as he had been trained to do in tight situations. He felt at ease, he got a friend back.

"I was close to death, though. Closer than I'd like," he said, starting to explain what happened; from the moment he could "see" again using the force, and then when he truly woke. But he didn't care. He wanted to know of everything that happened to her since he was gone. It had been so long, he cared nothing for what had happened to him. "I'm more concerned with what happened to you, though. I haven't seen you in ages, if I hadn't been a jedi, I would've thought you dead. So what has happened?"
Back to top Go down
Anya
Addict
Anya

PostSubject: Re: The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission]   The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission] EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 11:37 pm

The Wolf had almost completely retreated at the bright feeling of hope that blossomed in Anya's heart; she was herself again. She wiped at her hot, prickly eyes determinedly and sniffled, abashed. The girl was still suspicious, but... well... he seemed so real, she wished so badly, that she would at least try to trust him, illusion or no, until the dream was over. "S-sorry," she laughed a bit, "I've gotten your shirt completely soaked."

"Really, nothing's happened to me," she wiped her reddened eyes again, her face puffy and swollen, "I've just been traveling. What I want to know is where you've been hiding?"

It was odd, just sitting and chatting like this, openly, was almost like coming home. A warm, comfortable feeling she hadn't known in a long time surrounded her like a blanket, closer than the day's humidity and lighter than the rising sun. It tickled at the corners of her mouth, coaxing them upwards into a smile and leaving them there. This feeling of kinship, of battles and trials shared filled her heart, tapped into something she had lost and gave her the impression of that which she most coveted - humanity.
Back to top Go down
Scyn
Admin
Scyn

PostSubject: Re: The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission]   The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission] EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 1:09 am

"I don't exactly know... The last thing I know about... That day was that, when I woke, I had never felt more angry. I heard them whispering your name and hunting in the same sentence enough for me to lose my temper. So, now, they're all the ones who are dead instead of me," Scyn explained as he sat down. He crossed his legs and removed his hood.

"After that, I made my way to Tiroch to find out what happened, to see if I could remember my own past. You see, when I woke, I could only remember three things aside from my name; I am a jedi, I might have been a hero, and our life together. Everything else of my past, I don't remember. It's like my whole life was a book burned in a fire by someone who was hoping I really did die in that lab. I don't remember anything besides us, though. So I came to find you," he said. His heart began to beat faster. It was just like the memories he had of them, sitting and talking like true friends. Companions who understood each other and cared about each other. It was something he hadn't felt in a long time. "And it's alright about the shirt." he said with a crooked smile.
Back to top Go down
Anya
Addict
Anya

PostSubject: Re: The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission]   The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission] EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 9:14 am

Anya felt a tingle of empathy and the emptiness her friend must feel, but she didn't let it show on her face; It was a deeper echo of the desolation she had felt at her first Change. "Everything?" she frowned, shaking her head slowly, "I'm sorry, but I only know what you've told me... I'll try my best to help, but I don't know everything."

She tapped his knee questioningly as they sat, cross-legged under the cooler shade of a mighty tree. "Tell me," she sighed, "What do you remember?"
Back to top Go down
Scyn
Admin
Scyn

PostSubject: Re: The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission]   The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission] EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 3:46 pm

Scyn concentrated hard. He closed his eyes for some hope that he would have a vision of his past. Maybe some connection as to why he ended up on that world in the first place. When his mind was cleared, he immediately saw starships, firing back and forth with immense lights of red and blue with occasional green. It was curious. He saw himself in the capital ship of the side shooting the blue blasts. He then opened his eyes.

"I see... War," he said. His voice sounded more like an echo, as if there were more than one person speaking. He was dazed by the destruction and pain he felt. It wasn't right. He closed his eyes once more, but could feel a tear fall from his eye as he watched many brave soldiers give their lives for whatever reason. It didn't feel right.
Back to top Go down
Anya
Addict
Anya

PostSubject: Re: The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission]   The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission] EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 12:26 am

Anya sighed heavily, her pose shifting to an echo of a meditating swami, seeming almost to shrink into herself. Her ragged hair fell forward in a thick veil to encircle her face and hide her eyes as their gaze rested on her open palms. It was a defensive position, an open one, but her bowed back was indicative of the weight of Scyn's memories that she now knew she alone carried.

Half formed thoughts and assuptions, stories and snippets that the were had gathered about her friend's past flicked by her mind's eye, too quick to see or guess at. Even looking from within, the stream seemed a globe of fish, each individual picture both individual and inseparable from the bigger picture of Scyn's identity. Every impression slipped through her fingers, flicking its tail flippantly as it weaved in and about, through and among thousands of others, shifting and changing as it went. As soon as Anya grasped one impression, she couldn't see the others even as she was ripped away from that particular shining, silvered creature and planted on another. Echoing the old adage, among the whole forest of images and thoughts, Anya couldn't fathom the forest for its leaves. There was so much he had lost, so much she would have to remind him of.

Who Scyn had been was such a part of who he was now, that Anya nearly shuddered at the thought of unravelling the threads of each tale to reweave it into something that she could communicate to this empty, waiting shell. No, this wasn't the Scyn that she had known, not yet, but the were could help cure him and bring him back to himself.

She balked at the thought of continuing without his express permission. She parted her curtain of hair and sat up again, meeting Scyn's forest green eyes with her own emerald-flecked gold. The crystalline tract of a tear traced down his cheek, and she wiped it away, her heart dropping in echo with his inner torment. The were pulled him close as she might a child, squeezing him as tightly and securely as she dared. "Are you sure..." she whispered "Are you sure you want to know? It's not going to be easy to hear. And it's going to be even harder to accept; this that you feel isn't the worst of it."
Back to top Go down
Scyn
Admin
Scyn

PostSubject: Re: The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission]   The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission] EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 7:40 pm

"I'm sure. I need to know who I was and what I've done. I was sent here for a purpose, and I'm sure I can't do it unless I have my memory back. Something tells me there were secrets I knew that we will need. I know it," Scyn said, preparing himself for what he was about to here. His worst fear was to hear that he was once a sith, but something told him that that was exactly what he needed to prepare himself for.
Back to top Go down
Anya
Addict
Anya

PostSubject: Re: The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission]   The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission] EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 5:19 pm

Anya paused, gathering her breath and her thoughts for a moment as she pulled both physically and mentally away. The were seemed almost to shrink, her eyes growing dark and troubled. When there are a million things to say, where does one begin?

Her mind lit on a topic, one that she could explain impartially while still providing the bare backbones of the background of his stories - the ones she knew, in any case. Whoosh! The breath she'd been unknowingly holding was released. Anya didn't meet Scyn's patient gaze; instead, she twiddled her fingers almost nervously and, faltering, put on her storyteller's mindset and began.

"You said you saw war. From what you've told me, there was a great one. One that seemed almost to destroy the worlds its shadowy, blighted fingers grasped. We, on this Earth didn't feel it; most of us probably couldn't even fathom the distances over which it stretched, but you knew it intimately. You were at its battlefront, defending what you believed to be right. The war was between the good and the self-righteous, with both sides believing they had the will and love of their gods on their side. There is no war worse than the jihad, the religious war, and this one tore the galaxy in which you lived asunder.

"The initiators of the war were a strong, proud race who believed wholeheartedly in the will of their gods. From their first contact with beings from another world, this race despised those 'outsiders,' those heathens, animals walking and talking in a mockery of intelligence akin to that of their own. The strangers were created as a perverted, twisted wreckage of their own great gods by the Pretender, the Devil of their religion. The war was not begun because of money or because of power. Under the strength of a belief, what was simple, malicious xenophobia grew into the most devastating of wars - the jihad.

"From without, the growing civilization seemed simply odd and stiff, with its penchant for utter faith and methodic reach towards the race's peculiar ideal of perfection. Attempts were made to contact the leaders of the race, but every attempt failed. Watched from afar, their ways were both bewitchingly beautiful and subtly menacing. The great minds of these people had amazing latent power that could have helped better the galaxy in which they resided, had not their xenophobia forbade it.

"They obtained the power of interstellar travel with suprising ease, moving as meticulously as ever and under the pretext of searching for the very gods they followed. They happened upon another, supposedly more developed civilization. Their gods long ago had warned them of such beings as these warped, distorted wrecks, and commanded the purge of all such creatures, but this was the first that any of the leaders had come in contact with. They were confused, they stalled for a brief moment, remembering their scriptures and ancient writings before turning back and swallowing the whole planet in a single gulp. In accordance with their teachings, everything in the gods' image was tho be cherished, everything 'other' to be abhorred.

"This continued, in slow succession until a small section of one of the larger starsystems was in their grasp. Each planet taken became a perfect model after the new race's 'paradise'. They seemed relentless, unstoppable. If their gods were real, they seemed to be smiling upon their chosen ones.

"Finally, the central government took notice and took action. They thought it would be simple, like swatting a fly, but this new race was far more difficult to eradicate. Not only had their knowledge of other cultures and space grown by huge leaps and bounds, Every citizen would gladly lay down their lives for the sake of their gods, and their unshakeable faith was beginning to convince others to do the same. Their religious dogma was as insidious as the silver-tongued snake's hiss, and as deadly as its fangs; by the time the government sat up to notice, there were those in its ranks who had already succumbed.

"The war began."

Last edited by Anya on Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Scyn
Admin
Scyn

PostSubject: Re: The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission]   The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission] EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 9:29 pm

Scyn listened intently to the story of his past. He could see the images as if he were watching them in person. The ships in the stars exploading with no hope of ejecting without suffocating. He looked in horror as people flew into space and died, floating motionless as if suspended in time. Then it hit him. He realized who they were. They were his enemy and his loyal soldiers dying. He shed a tear.

"What was I during the war?" He asked. He needed to know if he was something else ike his heart told him. He needed to know who's side he was on.
Back to top Go down
Anya
Addict
Anya

PostSubject: Re: The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission]   The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission] EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 12:04 am

Anya winced visibly, her whole body almost cringing away in a flinch, but she held herself steady. And what should I say? This was the thorny tangle, the writhing strands weaving in and out, forming Scyn's past and the depth of his personality, with all its flaws and jewels. How can one describe a person to himself? A subjective viewpoint will never be seen objectively, no matter who puts it into words - every thought is a reflection of the author's mindset. Anya knew that describing Scyn's part in the war would be describing a peice of him that he had lost and bringing it back to him in a piecemeal, fragmented jumble. She only hoped that he could find his reflection in the shattered mirror.

"In the big scheme of things, you were nothing; no one is a big player in the macabre dance of death. In the end, millions had died and an entire race of peoples was all but extinct. There is no glory in the gore and guts and tears of war. In the more human scheme of things, you were considered a hero for your bravery - or idiocy, as the case may be - and heroics during the war. The fact that you had even survived was a suprise to many.

"But anyway, you stood on the side of what you called 'good;' you were a part of the government that formed the resistance and carried out the eventual obliteration of the once-proud race and its disciples that hoped to create paradise. You stood for peace between peoples and the sanctity of life in all its forms. You were a Jedi.

"The Jedi did not get unduly involved, choosing instead to be mediators between the race and the galaxy's government, hoping for a peaceful solution. You believed this, too, for a time. Something happened. Something that you wouldn't ever tell me. You changed. You felt that simply talking wouldn't stop the war and you became convinced that only action would halt the bloodshed for all time.

"You became what they called a Sith and stood for what you believed was Justice and the Good of All, actively participating in the war. You killed many by your own hands and murdered more through your mechanations. You never faltered, and, among other brave souls, you were considered a hero of sorts for your part in destroying the fanatic menace."
Back to top Go down
Scyn
Admin
Scyn

PostSubject: Re: The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission]   The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission] EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 11:54 am

Scyn closed his eyes once more, sighing deeply. He was a rebel, an alien, and above all else, an outcast. He remembered the day he faced the council as clearly as he saw Anya now. The day he told them He was then a sith. He remembered how they spat in his face with disgrace. The memory filled his heart with an unquenchable fire that could only be described as anger. He opened his eyes once he heard a tree crack. Looking up, he saw the marks of the force as it began to shrival into a thin, lifeless carcass. But he halted himself. His actions were in the past. And he knew that he was still right. That those creatures could only be dealt with through action.

Scyn looked into Anya's eyes. She had been wandering now for sometime alone. He could feel the marks of others who tried to befriend her, but were ultimately scared off. Then he felt something else. The mark of fear for another force wielder. Someone darker than anyone he'd faced before. Nihilimeya.

"I'm sorry I've been gone for so long," he said. "But I must ask, have you encountered another like me? If so, what did she do to you?" He could feel his anger being aroused once again, but he supressed it.
Back to top Go down
Anya
Addict
Anya

PostSubject: Re: The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission]   The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission] EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 10:34 pm

A crackle coiled up the tree behind the were, sharp and soft as the crinkling of fall leaves. The tree's sudden suprise and the scent of its immanent death scrunched up her nose and pulled her mouth into a hard, white line. She didn't move or flinch, rather fixing her gaze on the man who sat before her, battling with the anger he relived. You vowed never to destroy a living thing, the Wolf sniffed, Do our less obviously sentient brothers not matter?

Anya quelled the tinny voice and bitterness of the Wolf's sneer, watching her friend intently. For the years since the were had last seen Scyn, she had kept herself cloistered away from other people, living almost as a hermit in the hills surrounding Strid. Anya wasn't about to lose the only friend she knew was still hers now over some petty argument.

His searching eyes met her own, questing and wondering. The crackling stopped and the tree almost seemed to breathe a sigh of relief as the hot summer wind rustled through its upper branches, withered though the leaves might be. Scyn posed his question, his eyes still asking his unaired queries silently, eagerly.

She scowled. There was another woman that Anya had encountered that weilded the same strange power over the living world as Scyn did. The woman had descended upon Anya soon after Scyn had disappeared, finding Anya weak and wild with grief. There had been some sort of confrontation, her jumbled recollections decided, but no useful information had been gathered by either side. When both sides retreated from the battleground, both left rather worse for wear, leaving to lick their wounds and devise new tactics. The woman had not returned, perhaps because she figured that it would be easier to glean information from something other than a half-feral and highly unstable werewolf.

"Yes, I found another force-user," she growled, recalling the strange woman, "She asked me of you and left."
Back to top Go down
Scyn
Admin
Scyn

PostSubject: Re: The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission]   The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission] EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 11:01 pm

"Then it is what I feared," Scyn said, finally regaining all of his memory. It was a if that simple answer was the key to unlocking his long lost closet of memoried. He was sent here for a reason. Even if he didn't want to, he would have to face his true enemy before he could settle on this planet for the rest of his life. Nihilimeya preyed upon those weak in their emotion and filled with unstable anger. That was why she haunted him so much. If she could turn him to a sith once again, this planet could have the sith empire crawling in its caves in a matter of days. She had to be defeated.

"I'm not leaving anymore. After what happened last time, I can't. This world can't be trusted. Even worse than that, if she feels your emotions at all on this world from seeing me, she'll hunt us and won't rest til she catches us. I won't let her hurt you again," he said. He made an oath he knew he wouldn't and couldn't break. Her life was at stake as well, not just his. And he intended on keeping her alive.
Back to top Go down
Anya
Addict
Anya

PostSubject: Re: The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission]   The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission] EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 6:12 pm

"Well, alright..." the were frowned, discomfited and unsettled by the sudden change in her companion's demeanor. Sure, the woman was rather upsetting, but Anya wasn't too worried about her; chances were that the woman was as lost as ever.

Besides, how did Scyn intend to keep his promise? He would try as hard as he would to keep it, but the Fates always seemed to try to break such oaths in any way they could twist their gnarled fingers through it. It had the ring of a truth that would inevitably go wrong, for one reason or another. She shook her head. "Is there anything else you need me to explain at the moment, or is that enough?"
Back to top Go down
Scyn
Admin
Scyn

PostSubject: Re: The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission]   The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission] EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 7:36 pm

"I think I have enough for now. If there are other serets of myself I do not know, I suspect our journey will have you reveal them. Do you wish to camp out here for the night?" Scyn asked. He himself was feeling slightly weary as the sun settled over the horizon.
Back to top Go down
Anya
Addict
Anya

PostSubject: Re: The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission]   The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission] EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 10:52 pm

Anya blinked. A whole day had passed? It seemed only moments ago that she had awoken and decided to move on from her own uneasy Eden and but seconds since she had found her old friend. Time flies when you're having fun, she smiled wryly. She stretched for a moment, feeling the hot hands of the summer's day retreat and the soreness of muscles held too long in a single position.

The sky winked between the verdant foliage like jewels, slowly turning through its palatte from blue to gold, red to purple, finally fading into a deep twilight. Her eyes, keener than her heritage suggested, searched out Scyn's shape amid the growing darkness of the trees. "I think I have enough for now," he decided, "Do you wish to camp out here for the night?"

The were bared her teeth in a wan semblance of a smile. "It's what I always do; I have no qualms now."

Unmoving now, she stared at him steadily, unknowingly calling upon her lupine night sight in order to distinguish him from the darkening trees. I hope the alpha doesn't bother us, Anya bit her lip, He could be trouble...
Back to top Go down
Scyn
Admin
Scyn

PostSubject: Re: The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission]   The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission] EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 11:21 pm

Scyn looked around at the trees, looking for thick wood to craft into a small overhead. It would take much energy, but it wasn't anything he couldn't handle. He had done things such as that before. He raised his hands to a suitable and thick tree and closed his eyes. The tree moved, shaking the ground beneath them and innevitably cracked and made loud popping sounds, groaning and complaining in its own obnoxious way against the commanding power of the force that Scyn wielded. The tree began to fall, but stopped mid-air over top of them. Scyn laid it down beside them quietly and pulled his lightsaber out. He sliced at the wood, doing his best to carve pieces long enough to be tid together into an overhead roof.

When he finished, he cut long, flexible strands of the wood and tied them around the pieces. The strands were thick enough to last through the night, but to be safe, he carved long poles to balance it out. As his finishing act, he made a pile of dry wood and cleared a small opening of dirt for a fire. He outstretched his hand and focused as a quick jolt of lightning flowed beautifully in its own chaotic cacophony from his hand to the pile. A fire flickered to life.

"Is this suitable?" He asked, knowing what her reaction was going to be. He collapsed from the weight of gravity as it conquered over him with his loss of energy. His stomach growled loudly when he pulled himself together. He realized how long it had been since he had eaten any form of food.
Back to top Go down
Anya
Addict
Anya

PostSubject: Re: The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission]   The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission] EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 12:09 pm

The wolf snarled and howled at the blasphemy against nature as Scyn bent and twisted trees, slicing and dicing them like a carcass. The earsplitting crackles and pops were something akin to the ringing bellows of pain from a mighty fallen beast. Anya simply quivered, huddling into a ball as Scyn continued his work. She huddled silently into herself as the shrieks finally stopped. She bit back the roiling anger laboriously as he dusted his hands of his deed.

If only she couldn't hear the tree's cries, if only she couldn't feel the Wolf's enraged indignition, the were might have been happy for the shelter. As it was, every breath of wind elicited a groan from the makeshift building that wrenched her heart. D--- him and his disregard! snarled the Wolf, baring Anya's teeth and wrinkling her brow.

"Is this suitable?" Scyn asked before slumping over in what seemed like a dead faint. The Wolf bristled at her to leap on the fallen man, to rip him limb from limb for his disregard for even such a small life as the mighty oak that had sheltered them throughout the day, but Anya suppressed it, shuddering.

Instead, she stood silently and left, wandering deeper into the woods to digest the new information and escape the source of her current turmoil. "It's amazing, isn't it?" she sighed to herself, "that someone can appear after so long a time and... well... I just don't know what to think."

She seethed inwardly with emotions, lapping and overlapping themselves, echoing and multiplying. To have a friend again after wandering so far alone! It was mind boggling, and Anya still doubted his true identity; it was easy to fake anything nowadays. The were had watched him die, for God's sake! Thoughts continuing in this and several other veins swirled in her mind as she allowed her feet to carry her where they willed, though never either too close or too far from the camp.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission]   The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission] Empty

Back to top Go down

The Ruins of Irvin [Closed Topic, sans permission]
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next